1. The Bible is the inspired Word of God. It is God's primary method of communicating with us today. Men and women who were inspired and led by the Holy Spirit when they wrote it have given the Bible to us.
2. God is Trinity. There are three persons in the Godhead, but there is only one God. God is Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. The Father, Son, and Holy Spirit possess all the infinite attributes of God.
3. God the Father created heaven and earth and everything that is visible and invisible in them.
4. Jesus Christ is the Son of God. He was conceived in Mary by the Holy Spirit. Mary, the mother of Jesus was a virgin when Jesus was conceived in her womb.
5. Jesus was in every way tempted, as we are tempted, yet he led a sinless life while He lived on earth.
6. Jesus was crucified and died. He was buried. On the third day, after His death, He was raised from the dead. He ascended into heaven where He is now seated with God the Father. Jesus experienced a literal resurrection. Like Jesus, we will experience a literal resurrection when He returns.
7. Jesus voluntarily accepted God's penalty of death for our sins. Thus, when He died, God accepted Jesus' death as sufficient sacrifice for our sins.
8. The Holy Spirit is God in the world with us today. The Father and Son sent the Holy Spirit into the world to make us aware of our sinful natures, to call us to repent for our sinful way of living, and to return to the Father. The Holy Spirit opens our minds to receive and understand the Word of God in the Bible and He makes our needs and desires known to the Father.
9. The Church is the body of Christ in the world today, and Jesus is the head of the Church.
10. Because of original sin, we are born into this world with a sinful nature that separates us from God.
11. We are redeemed by God's grace through faith in what He has done for us through Jesus Christ. When we accept Jesus as our Lord and Savior, God forgives our sins, reconciles us to Himself, and receives us back into His presence.
12. Jesus will return to earth where He will carry our God's final judgment on His creation. If we have accepted Jesus as our Lord and Savior, and have invited Him into our life, we will live throughout eternity in heaven in the presence of God. If we have rejected Jesus, we will live throughout eternity in hell separated from God.
From The Book of Discipline of The United Methodist Church - 2004. Copyright 2004 by The United Methodist Publishing House. Used by permission.
Green Valley United Methodist Church was founded in 1987. Rev. Jerry Blankinship founded the church which met in a small upstairs meeting room those first two years. Rev. Tom Mattick was appointed as the first full-time pastor in 1989. The church then moved into commercial rental space near Ethel M's Candy Factory.
In 1991, the church moved to its present location at the corner of Robindale Road and Green Valley Parkway. The Multi-purpose "A" Building housed all the church activities at that time.
Rev. Robert Burns became senior pastor in 1995 and Rev. Lee Robison joined the pastoral staff in 1996 - 2004. The following year, 1997, the Education "B" Building was completed and education for all ages moved across the patio lawn.
Associate Pastor Billy Martin served the church from 2002-2005. A Temporary "T" Building was moved onto the property in 2002 to provide space for youth and adult activities. Rev. Susan Brims was appointed the executive pastor in 2005. Rev. Lynn Hamilton served as associate pastor from 2006 - 2009. In July 2009, Pastor Beth Rambikur joined our staff as associate pastor. In July 2010 we welcomed Reverend Dan Morley to GVUMC as our senior pastor. In July 2012, Pastor Beth was transferred to Desert Skies UMC in Tucson and Pastor Jean Newell was assigned as the new Associate Pastor.
Construction on the current sanctuary and children's education spaces was completed in May of 2007. The first worship service was held in the new sanctuary on Mother's Day, May 13, 2007.
Together the congregation, pastors and staff strive to serve God by meeting the needs of others through ministry and service.
"Fully faithful followers of Jesus Christ serving unconditionally:
"Invite, equip and send disciples to serve"